Strengthening community resilience
This paper aims to present the Red Cross Red Crescent definition and perspectives on resilience and put forward recommendations to opinion leaders, decision makers and donors to support a shift towards a more comprehensive approach to resilience.
To strengthen communities’ resilience, the Red Cross makes the following nine recommendations to the EU and its Member States:
- Put people first
- Respect local ownership
- Ensure comprehensive cross-sectoral assessment, planning and implementation
- Include the most vulnerable groups
- Build Red Cross Red Crescent capacities
- Incorporate a long-term perspective
- Work in partnership
- Strengthen the unique role of Red Cross Red Crescent National Societies as auxiliaries to governments and authorities to increase impact and scale.