The Red Cross EU Office (RCEU) respects your online privacy and handles your personal data with care. We are responsible for the use of the personal information that we collect to carry out our activities and take all measures within our power to ensure the safety of that use of personal data. The personal data are processed in accordance with the Regulation (EU) 2016/679, the General Data Protection Regulation.
When you register for certain services, we will ask you to provide personal information. When you sign up to stay informed about our activities, or when you send us your resume, you agree that RCEU collects and registers the personal information that you transfer. If you are an employee or volunteer of one of our member organisations, based on our terms of reference we have a legitimate interest to retain your data to carry out our activities, unless otherwise indicated by you (see Article 5: Your rights).
Personal data that you communicate to us
1.1. During a visit to this Website:
- IP address
- Authentication and tracking cookies – see our Cookies Policy.
1.2. When contacting us through this Website’s contact form:
- e-mail address
- First name
- Last Name
1.3. When registering for the RCEU members’ area:
- e-mail address
- First name
- Last Name
- Position/Job title
1.4. When registering for our newsletters:
- e-mail address
- First name
- Last Name
- Tracking data (subscriptions, bounces, opens, clicks, geographic location)
1.5. As RCEU members:
- First name, surname, e-mail address, organisation, job title, department, city, country, telephone number, address, dietary needs, skype & twitter accounts.
1.6. As consultants, or some other business relation:
- Name, e-mail address, telephone number, bank account number.
Personal data that we collect indirectly
2.1. Public data of the principal, customer, or some other business relation.
RCEU sometimes processes public data, e.g. data that are subject to a publication duty, such as the publication of your appointment as director of an organisation, or data that you made public yourself, such as information posted on your website, or data that are generally known in your region or that have appeared in the press.
Purposes of the processing
3.1. General purposes
RCEU will use the gathered personal data exclusively for the following purposes:
- IP address (see article 1.1): to look after and improve this Website by including Personal Data in anonymous statistics, from which the identity of specific persons or companies cannot be discovered, with as legal basis the legitimate interests of RCEU in continuously improving its Website and provision of services.
- Name, e-mail address, query (see article 1.2) when contacting us through this Website’s contact form: with a view to managing your query, to be able to provide the requested information or services. With as legal basis your prior explicit consent.
- Name, e-mail address, position, organisation, mailing preferences, login data (see articles 1.3 and 1.4) when registering on the RCEU members’ area and for our newsletters: with a view to managing your account on this platform, to be able to provide the requested information or services. With as legal basis the execution of an agreement that was requested by you, and, if indicated by you, also the sending of newsletters, with as legal basis your prior explicit consent.
- Photos and videos (see articles 1.3 and 1.4): to be used for our internal and external communications, with as legal basis your prior explicit consent.
- Name, e-mail address, organisation, job title, department, city, country, telephone number, address, dietary needs, skype & twitter accounts (see article 1.5): in order to be able to provide the requested services, with as legal basis the legitimate interest to carry out our activities as described in our terms of reference.
- Name, e-mail address, telephone number, bank account number (see article 1.6): in order to be able to provide you the requested services and to comply with the statutory provisions, with as legal basis the execution of an agreement that was requested by you.
You are not obliged to release your personal data, but you do understand that the granting of certain services becomes impossible if you refuse the processing.
3.2. Newsletters and Emails
The personal data will also be used for direct marketing (sending content promoting directly or indirectly our activities).
If you are already included in our mailing list for receiving informative material in electronic form, RCEU can use your data to send content relating to RCEU and its activities.
This consent can be withdrawn at any time – free of charge and without any obligation for a justification, either via email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or by post to: Red Cross EU Office Director, Rue de Treves 59-61, 1040 Brussels, Belgium – subject to including a copy of an official form of identification.
3.3. Transfer to third parties
RCEU will never pass on your personal data to third parties, with the exception of RCEU members and technical service providers who handle technical support in so far as this is necessary for the technical provision of services and/or if they are obliged to do so on the basis of a statutory provision or a judicial ruling.
RCEU shall make reasonable attempts to inform you in advance of the fact that RCEU discloses your data to named third parties, but you also acknowledge that this is not technically or commercially feasible under all circumstances.
RCEU will not sell your personal data, rent them out, share them or otherwise make them commercially available to third parties.
3.4. Legal requirements
In rare cases, it is possible that RCEU is obliged to reveal your personal data subject to a court order or in order to comply with other compelling laws or regulations. RCEU shall make reasonable attempts to inform you in advance about this, unless it is subject to legal restrictions.
Duration of the processing
The personal data are kept and processed by us for a period that is necessary as a function of the purposes of the processing as described in article 3, and as a function of the contractual relationship between RCEU and you:
- IP address: for the duration of your visit to the Website.
- E-mail address, name, query: for the duration of the requested delivery of services.
- E-mail address, name, organisation, position, login data: for the duration of the requested delivery of services.
- Name, e-mail address, organisation, job title, department, city, country, telephone number, address, dietary needs, skype & twitter accounts: for the duration of the requested delivery of services.
The aforementioned personal data are in any case kept in accordance with prescription periods that oblige us to maintain your personal data for a longer period, e.g. in order to defend ourselves against an action at law.
5.1. Right of access and inspection
You have the right – at any time, free of charge – to take cognisance of your personal data, as well as of the use that RCEU is making of your personal data.
5.2. Right of correction, deletion and restriction
You are free to communicate your personal data, or not, to RCEU. In addition, you always have the right to ask us to correct, supplement, or delete your personal data. You acknowledge that, in case of refusal to communicate or request for deletion of personal data, certain services and products are not deliverable.
5.3. Right of opposition
You also have a right of opposition against the processing of your personal data for serious and legitimate reasons.
In addition, you always have the right to oppose the use of personal data for purposes of emails and newsletters; in such a case, you do not have to give any reasons.
5.4. Right of free data transfer
You have the right to obtain your Personal Data that are processed by us in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable form and/or to transfer them to other controllers.
5.5. Right to withdraw consent
In so far as the processing is based on your prior consent, you have the right to withdraw this consent at any time.
5.6. Exercising your rights
You can exercise your rights by contacting us either via email: email@example.com, or by post to: Red Cross EU Office Director, Rue de Treves 59-61, 1040 Brussels, Belgium – subject to including a copy of an official form of identification.
5.7. Automatic decisions and profiling
The processing of your Personal Data does not include any profiling, nor will you be subject by us to automated decisions.
5.8. Right to file a complaint
You have the right to file a complaint with the Belgian Privacy Commission: Commission for the Protection of Privacy, Rue de la Presse 35, 1000 Brussels, Tel +32 (0)2 274 48 00, Fax +32 (0)2 274 48 35, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Security and confidentiality
We have developed security measures that are appropriate on the technical and organisational levels to prevent the destruction, loss, falsification, modification, unauthorised access, or accidental disclosure to third parties of collected personal data, as well as any other unauthorised processing of these data.
Under no circumstances can RCEU be held liable for any direct or indirect harm deriving from an erroneous or wrongful use by a third party of the personal data. RCEU ensures that when calling upon third parties for the processing of personal data, these third parties shall be bound by the same rules.
You must at all times observe the security rules, including by preventing any unauthorised access to your login and password. You are thus solely responsible for the use that is made as of the Website from your computer, IP address and from your identification data, as well as for the confidentiality thereof.
Access by third parties
In order to be able to process your personal data, we grant access to your personal data to our employees.
List of data sub-processors:
Applicable law and competent court