People-centRED approach: Strengthening local-to-global capacities
Development and humanitarian needs are increasing as a result of climate shocks, the COVID-19 pandemic and the conflict in Ukraine. Poverty and inequalities are worsening and public health and food systems are heavily disrupted. To ensure long-lasting development, solutions must be built on multi-sector responses based on local needs. As actors in the field, National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, with the support of the International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies’ (IFRC), work with communities towards locally led development while supporting collective efforts to address global development challenges, thus contributing to building long-term resilience and inclusive peace globally.
Policies implemented by the European Union (EU) and its Member States significantly impact communities worldwide. The Red Cross Red Crescent network encourages the EU to support local actors and communities to drive the processes of their resilience building and leave no one behind. To this end, this booklet highlights the efforts and recommendations by National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies to empower communities, build on their capacities and help bring about long-lasting positive change in people’s lives. Through practical examples, this publication demonstrates how National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies and the IFRC work worldwide to protect people in need and promote positive change through locally led development.
- ENSURING ACCESS TO HEALTH: Health inequity is a fundamental social injustice and can significantly impede development. We tackle developing health threats in the field, including epidemics, the impact of climate change on health, and changing security contexts.
- ADDRESSING THE IMPACTS OF CLIMATE CHANGE: The climate crisis exacerbates existing vulnerabilities. We are at the forefront to support communities in mitigating the impacts of climate change, strengthening action on prevention, preparedness, and adaptation.
- STRENGTHENING LIVELIHOODS FOR INCLUSIVE SOCIETIES: In response to growing unemployment, inequality and gender-based violence, we work to improve people’s capacity to generate and maintain their means of living, enhancing their wellbeing & that of future generations.
- SUPPORTING COMMUNITIES AFFECTED BY DISPLACEMENT: We work globally with and for people on the move, providing assistance to them on their journey regardless of legal status, based solely on their needs and ensuring respect for their dignity and rights.
- CREATING AN ENABLING ENVIRONMENT FOR SOCIETAL CHANGE AND HUMAN DEVELOPMENT: Building on our work with communities, we engage with authorities to create an enabling environment for societal change, and to shape legal frameworks contributing to ensure sustainable and community-based resilience.